Every day, your potential customers are exposed to no less than 15,000 commercial incentives. Faced with this information overload, that what advertising strategy should you put in place to make your communication reach them?
Personalization for better communication: 3 stages of the marketing funnel
Given the advertising overdose suffered by consumers, brands must bet more than ever on personalization to reach their target effectively on the web. But this advertising strategy is not just about serving your ads based on the interests of social and demographic characteristics of your potential customers.
As an advertiser, you can adapt your ads not only to the profile but also to the purchase journey of your target. In order to send the right message at the right time and to the right person. We call the purchasing journey all the stages through which a person goes from becoming aware of their need until the moment when they make the decision to buy a product or consume a service.
In the context of advertising communication on the web, there are therefore 3 main stages linked to very specific objectives:
1) Awareness: generate interest in a new target
The first step is to “raise awareness”, ie to send a message to a target who does not yet know their needs and/or your brand. But who would be potentially interested in your services or your products. As an advertiser, your goal will therefore be to promote your business. To choose advertising content suited to the awareness stage in the purchasing journey, we recommend that you:
- Highlight your brand universe and in particular, what sets you apart from your competitors
- Use advertising formats that show visual content with emphasis on video
- Talk about the problem that your audience may encounter and the main solution provided by your product/service
- Avoid rushing your audience with promotional content or action verbs (eg: buy, contact, book etc.)
2) Consideration: encourage potential customers to take an interest in your business and take a first action
Once your brand has been established in the minds of Internet users, your second objective will be to make them perform the first action: visit the website, see a video, interact with an advertisement, etc. Here, your contacts are one step more advanced in their purchasing journey. It will therefore be necessary to adapt your message to convince them of their need. To do this, you could:
- Encourage the person to act by highlighting the benefits of your solution with action verbs
- Adapt your messages to the action you want to trigger
- Create content focused on solutions responding to the issues of your target
3) Conversion: encourage interested people to carry out a targeted action
Once the awareness and consideration steps have been completed, the goal is now to get your audience to make a conversion. That is to say, to carry out one or more key actions for your company: send a contact form, call a phone number, buy a product online….
Conversion goals are unlimited and should be actions that are of particular interest to your business. To obtain concrete actions on your site, it is imperative to ensure:
- Follow up on events on your site with the appropriate tools in order to be able to precisely measure the results of the actions carried out
- Use concise and punchy sentences with action verbs depending on your conversion goal. Here, the potential customer is far enough in the buying journey to allow you to use more direct formulas like “buy now”, “take advantage of the offer”, “contact us”.
- Ensure the quality of the experience lived by the potential customer on your site to avoid the brakes (speed, navigation, clarity, content …)
When it comes to targeting, this step is a great time to take advantage of the information you can use:
- On the one hand, to retarget people who have shown an interest in your business who are more willing to convert. For example, people who have already visited your website or people who have shown an interest in your advertising content during your awareness or consideration campaigns. We are talking here about a retargeting strategy .
- On the other hand, to target similar profiles of people who are at the same level in the purchasing journey: a similar profile of your buyers, your existing prospects or your emailing subscriber base, for example. For this, advertising networks use artificial intelligence to find profiles that resemble those of your initial audience (having the same characteristics, the same behaviors, etc.).
The final word
You will understand: to build an effective campaign strategy, it is therefore essential to adopt an advertising approach built on personalization. Awareness, Consideration, and Conversion are three main categories of goals that will allow you to target your future customers at different levels in their buying journey, sending the right messages, at the right time, using the right format.
It is obvious that the information you have on your customers ( first-party data ) will allow you to establish personalized communication, and therefore improve your advertising performance. A responsible strategy (in accordance with the GDPR) for collecting and qualifying customer data, via a CRM tool, will give you the keys to getting to know your customers better and sending them appropriate messages.
And if you need support to go from theory to practice, you can always call on an expert agency in digital marketing 😉